It’s easy to let your workplace get messy – when work is busy the last thing you want to do is to spend time cleaning your desk. Plus sometimes it can seem like your desk gets messy and cluttered without you even doing anything. But there are benefits of keeping your desk clean and tidy!
Benefits of a clean and tidy desk
The first and most important benefit of a clean and tidy desk is it can make you feel inspired and you will actually be more productive. With the time spent cleaning a desk is minimal compared to the benefit of finishing projects faster, clearer thinking, and feeling refreshed. A clean desk will also have less distraction for you when working, meaning that you won’t be tempted to fiddle with things or doodle on old note paper. It will also give you room to do the work you need to do.
Tips on how to keep a clean desk
- Keep only what you use on top of your desk. That one type of tape you use once a month isn’t necessary on your desk. If you only keep on your desk what you use on a consistent and daily basis your desk will most likely lose a lot of what’s on it.
- Have the supplies you need, close to you. If you have a large desk, it’s beneficial to have your pens and papers at an arm’s distance so that you can use them when you need to and before the thought has left your brain.
- Don’t keep loose papers on your desk. This will not only always be distracting but there’s no method to the madness, meaning how will you know what note goes with what? It’s best to keep a notebook, label the date, and what it’s for. That way you can still have a lot of notes, but you will be able to look through them easily.
- Have a spot for everything. This will not let things pile up on your desk – meaning if it doesn’t have a spot for it or if you don’t use it, it doesn’t get to stay on the desk.
- Get a desk organizer. This may seem like a thing of the past – but it’s essential to keeping a clean and tidy desk.
- Go through your desk weekly. If you keep up with what’s on your desk and keep up with cleaning it, the task doesn’t seem so intimidating and every time you do it, it should take less time.
Now that you know why you should keep your desk clean as well as how to keep your desk clean, you have no excuses to have the messiest desk in the office. If you need help with your clean out, commercial or residential – contact us today at (781) 558 – 2788 or on our website and we are happy to help!